When I turned 40 last year, my friend Kelly set me a challenge – 40 things to do in my year of turning of 40. One of those things was to blog about something that scares me.
If you’re scratching your head and wondering what that’s got to do with ’30 things you didn’t know about me’, welcome to one of my fears – ‘selling myself’, revealing things about myself and writing ‘about’ pages and blog posts! It makes me feel very uncomfortable and exposed as I’m not someone who likes shouting about themselves.
I’ve spent most of my life hiding my personality. I’ve never been able to fully embrace who I am and I really bother what people think of me. I’m pretty insecure and it’s something that really frustrates me and causes a lot of anguish. It takes a while for people to really get to know me well as I keep a lot to myself – what makes me tick, my likes and dislikes and opinions about life and the world. Since moving to Cornwall I’ve made some new friends and despite me knowing them for a good 8 months, they don’t know me fully.
But this year, I’m working on self-care which includes learning to love myself more and being proud of who I am. And what better way to start by embracing my quirks, laying it out there and revealing 30 things that you didn’t know about me (excuse me whilst I run away and hide);
- I was born in Wolverhampton. I went to school and university there, and only left last year when I moved to Cornwall.
- I haven’t flown for 20 years – partly due to circumstance but primarily fear.
- My favourite films are The Lost Boys and Almost Famous.
- I’m obsessed with America. It started when my dad did a 6 week road trip through Canada and the USA when I was about 7. My dream is to go to California, hire a car and do Highway 1 from San Francisco down to San Diego.
- My favourite colour is aqua/turquoise.
- I have a degree in English and Linguistics. When I was at uni, I avoided every module that involved having to give a presentation because I hated standing up in front of a large group.
- I rarely watch TV and prefer to listen to music. I particularly love classic rock, grunge, acoustic and strong, empowering female vocalists.
- My favourite band is Led Zeppelin.
- My ideal cold, rainy day is lighting some incense and candles, putting some classic vinyl on my turntable, and curling up with a blanket and a good book. Or, if the surf’s good….go surfing!
- I used to do ballet. My ballet teacher wanted me to audition for the Royal Ballet School but a dancer’s life wasn’t for me. I regretted giving up ballet for many years afterwards and I can no longer do the splits.
- My favourite food is a cheeseburger. I’m a sucker for a good burger and can be very picky!
- I have a thing for American diners and vintage airstreams.
- I hate my West Midlands accent. When I was younger I used to mimic other people’s accents so that I wouldn’t sound like ‘me’. I once read out loud in English class in an American accent to give the book I was reading more ‘credibility.’
- My perfect day involves sun, surfing, a bbq and a sunset bonfire on the beach. In my daydreams I’m really cool and play the guitar or ukulele around the fire but in reality, I’ll have to skip that part of the perfect day!
- I love the smell but hate the taste of coffee which I used to love until I had measles at a young age. I literally went off it overnight. Now, I can’t stomach the taste.
- I drink way too much tea (Earl Grey) and have a slight addiction to smoothies.
- If I could have lived anywhere, anytime in any era it would have been California in the 70’s.
- I don’t watch British TV shows. American shows all the way! Favourites over the years include Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Breaking Bad, 24, The X-Files, Sex and the City, Game of Thrones and Being Erica (although that’s technically Canadian).
- I’ve worked in marketing for 19 years but my specialism is copywriting. My work’s been published in the Guardian, in a European sports magazine, on numerous websites, in magazines and in university prospectuses.
- I once worked for a motor yacht manufacturer and drove a 42ft yacht on the Solent – best day at work….ever!
- I love trying new things. I’ve ridden a horse, ice skated and roller skated, tried wakeboarding, stand up paddle boarding, driven a jet ski and a motor yacht and was once a mermaid for the day with a full tail!
- I’ve never done karaoke but it’s on the bucketlist. “Tonight Matthew, I’m going to be….Stevie Nicks” (*precedes to murder ‘Edge of Seventeen’).
- Despite suffering with self-esteem issues, I’m a real people person. I thrive on meeting people and social situations yet don’t fare well in large groups. I retreat, become quiet and take on the role of silent observer. I find it exhausting and almost need to ‘recharge’ afterwards.
- I have a crush on Gerard Butler and Jared Leto (circa 2009 when he wasn’t shaving his eyebrows off for film roles).
- I once waited almost 2 hours in the freezing cold for a chance to meet Jared Leto after a 30 Seconds to Mars gig. I didn’t meet him, but met Tomo the lead guitarist who was lovely.
- I can hold my breath under water for almost 2 minutes.
- I hate frogs to the point of being scared of them. I run away when I see them.
- I love fairy lights, fireworks, bonfires, beaches, the moon and stars.
- I have 2 cats – a Devon Rex called Willow and a Siamese called Bella.
- I’m an only child.
For more things that make me tick hop over to my Pinterest feed.